Monday, March 14, 2011

Caro's Brain: The Songs in My Head


It seems that music has been moving away from 80s inspired dance pop and 90s inspired shoegaze into more earthy genres like folk, R&B, soul, and Americana. These are the songs rattling around in my head lately. Enjoy.
(And yes I realize a handful of these songs were released a few years ago. Shush.)

Warpaint - Undertow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMkqbY0oGKQ

I'm always a sucker for pretty guitars and pretty voices. Wait til it picks up about halfway through, You'll thank me.

Drive-By Truckers - Used to be a Cop
This is about as good a the Trucker's special brand of Americana blue collar storytelling gets.

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
SO EXCITED for a new album from these guys, especially based on this lead-off single.

The Heavy - How You Like Me Now?
Old school R&B (and I mean Sam and Dave, James Brown old school) meets rock n' roll badassery.

Sam Amidon - Saro
A stunningly lovely slice of Great Plains Americana/folk.

Carolina Chocolate Drops - Knockin'
I love this video because it looks like a few housewives standing around awkwardly, then this SONG comes out that's so freaking sexy. A modern interpretation of old time fireside songwriting.

Ray LaMontagne - Beg, Steal or Borrow
As stupid as this sounds, I thought this was a classic song from the 70s the first time I heard it. It has that lived-in feel to it, like you knew it existed before you ever heard it.

Aloe Blacc - I Need a Dollar
This guy is the second coming of Otis Redding, and if anybody damn well deserved a second coming, it would be Otis.

Fistful of Mercy - Father's Son
A foot-stomping assault of acoustic guitars and country swagger.
.
PJ Harvey - Written on the Forehead
Yet another PJ Harvey gem from her FAN-tastic new album "Let England Shake"
.
Junip - Always
There's something about Jose Gonzalez's voice that just gets me, and I really can't say why. This song is just a perfect Latin-tinged folk confection.

Fitz & the Tantrums - Moneygrabber
One of the best soul throwback songs to come about in a long while, plus it's catchy as hell.

Ryan Adams - Wonderwall
As much as I listen to music, I managed to completely miss this amazing Oasis cover that apparently came out in 2007.

Lissie - In Sleep
I passed up Lissie initially because I thought "Meh another female artist trying to resurrect their Sheryl Crow aspirations", but this song just wrapped itself around my brain and refuses to leave. If anything, she's the new Stevie Nicks circa 1975.

Paul Simon - The Afterlife
The fear of late-career dropoff significantly waned for me after hearing this new single off of Simon's upcoming album. A cross between New Orleans zydeco and reggae, mixed with Simon's sardonic wit, it's the best stuff he's done in years.
.
.
Currently
Reading: Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
Watching: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 4
Listening: Janelle Monae "The ArchAndroid"

No comments:

Post a Comment